First of all, thank you to everyone who entered my Cocofina Snack Bar Giveaway! The winner has now been contacted by email. Sorry if it wasn’t you!
All of a sudden I’ve found myself busy busy busy and chasing to keep up. More university work, more other work, friends to stay…life in general! I’ve still got recipe ideas coming out of my ears, I’m just not having the chance to execute them.
The last thing I like giving up when things get busy is my kitchen time but I’m learning that tasty doesn’t always have to be complicated, and an interesting vegetable dish served alongside very simple grains, beans or lentils can be a really good meal. My Butternut with Roasted Red Pepper, Walnut & Parsley Pesto was the first vegetable star and these Sticky Roasted Vegetables with Sesame-Miso Dressing came up next.
Wandering around the Farmers’ market (I MAKE time for that) everything was looking a bit battered, not surprisingly given the storms and rain we’ve had, but these grubby parsnips and carrots had my name on them.
The hardest part of this recipe was washing the mud off the vegetables!
Tossed in olive oil and maple or agave and left to roast the parsnips and carrots’ natural sweetness is brought out. An umami-filled dressing and a sprinkling of sesame seeds finishes the dish off beautifully.
- 3-4 Medium-size carrots, well-washed/peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 3-4 Medium-size parsnips, well-washed/peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 200g/1/2 lb Tenderstem OR Purple-sprouting broccoli, trimmed
- 1T Olive oil
- 1T Liquid sweetener (e.g. maple syrup, yacon syrup, agave nectar), divided
- 1/2T Sesame seeds
- 1 1/2T Toasted sesame oil
- 1/2T Liquid sweetener
- 1/2T Brown rice vinegar
- 1t White miso
- 1 Small clove of garlic, minced
- 1t Grated ginger
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
- Toss the carrots and parsnips in the olive oil and spread in a single layer in a large roasting dish. Cook for approx 25 minutes or until tender and slightly browned.
- Add the broccoli to the roasting dish, drizzle the vegetables with the tablespoon of sweetener and scatter over the sesame seeds.
- Return to oven and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Remove the roasted vegetables to a serving dish and drizzle with the sesame-miso dressing. Alternatively, allow individuals to dress their vegetables with their desired quantity.
I’m really enjoying making vegetables the star in the show. Do you have any particularly fantastic vegetable side-dishes I should know about?