This is another of those recipes I’ve had in the back of my mind and on the huge list of recipe ideas which spans scraps of paper floating around the house, notes on my phone, laptop, etc. There’s not enough time or meals in the average day to execute them all, especially at the moment when I’m trying to figure out this next stage of life in the big wide world outside of the cocoon of full-time education.
These tartlets might not look terribly autumnal but I’ve been eating soup for days, and as much as I love it, I needed a change!
Back in the springtime, a popular recipe on Coconut and Berries was my Vegan Asparagus & Fennel Quiche (with a Quinoa Crust). But though that recipe is obviously vegan and also gluten-free, I know not all my readers eat tofu so I thought I’d come up with something vaguely along the same vein- still vegan and gluten-free but also soy-free, using seasonal veggies and with a more traditional flaky pastry crust. I do try and keep everyone happy!
I picked leek and tenderstem broccoli as my base veggies for this recipe. I’m a fan of all broccoli really but this tenderstem kind is my favourite ( I think in some countries it’s called “Broccolini” which sounds kind of cute!) and it’s everywhere at the moment. I don’t use leeks enough but their caramelized qualities bring a little hint of sweetness and plenty of flavour to the mix, divine combined with a cashew cream to fill my pastry shells.
Something magical seemed to have happened in the baking process as these little tarts came out of the oven smelling and tasting remarkably cheesy!
I’ve tried a lot of pastry crust recipes but have never been entirely satisfied. This one is a winner on all counts. Just a few wholesome ingredients that you’ll no doubt have in your kitchens already, and an easy press-in method which means no faffing about with rolling and filling in holes. It’s also super buttery and flaky! I can’t wait for you to try it!
I made mini leek & broccoli tartlets as I think it’s fun to have your own rather than a slice from a big one but you can easily make this into one 8-9” tart. See instructions in recipe below.
- 1/2 C Almond flour
- 1/2 C Oat flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1-1/2 Tbsp Chilled coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp (+1/2 Tbsp) Cold water
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 Leek, halved lengthwise and chopped finely
- Approx 100 g/3.5oz (Tenderstem) Broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1/4 C + 2 Tbsp Cashews, soaked
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot
- 1/2 C Water
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F. Lightly grease 3 tartlet tins with coconut oil.
- Stir together dry ingredients then cut in coconut oil with a fork, until crumbly. Add water 1 Tbsp at a time, until you can form a ball with the mixture with your hands. Divide the dough into 3 and press evenly into the prepared tins until it evenly covers the base and sides. Prick all over with a fork to prevent it puffing up.
- Pre-bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Sauté the leeks in the oil over medium heat for approx 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the broccoli, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Blend together the remaining ingredients, except pepper (cashews through to water) and mix with the leeks and broccoli. Season with black pepper, to taste. Spoon the filling into the pre-baked crusts.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Place under the grill/broil for 1-2 minutes to brown tops (optional). Cool briefly before removing from the tins and serve warm or cold.
* To make one 8-9" tart to serve 6, double the ingredients, pre-bake the crust for 25 minutes then bake filled tart for 30-40 minutes.
What would you like to see next on Coconut and Berries? Any feedback would be really helpful to me in organizing what I share on here. Thank you!
If you’re new to Coconut and Berries, please sign up for email updates and join me elsewhere! I’m on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram (@coconutandberries), Google + and Twitter! You can also follow Coconut and Berries with Bloglovin or Feedly.