You didn’t think I’d forgotten did you? Given the pink, hearts and chocolate everywhere I think it would be virtually impossible to ignore Valentine’s Day.
I don’t have that special someone in my life yet and I’d hope the many people who I do love know how I feel about them and don’t need a card or flowers to show that. All the same, it is quite nice to have an excuse to do something a little special, particularly if that involves chocolate!
Everyone knows chocolate is a sexy food but what you might know is that the aromatic Indian spice, cardamom, is also considered an aphrodisiac! (Check out the Arabian Nights and you’ll see it mentioned). It’s also high in cineole, which can increase blood flow to certain areas….!
I happen to love the taste of cardamom, and paired with chocolate, it’s obviously even more sensational.
You might not have the time to spend laboring over a fancy dessert for Friday night but these Almond, Cardamom & Chocolate Chunk Cookies take hardly any time at all, just one bowl and spoon, and are everything you could want from a sweet treat.
They’re gluten and grain-free as well as free from refined sugars so suitable for everyone, and the ground almonds they’re made from lend them that gorgeous melt-in-the mouth quality.
- 1-1/2 C Ground almonds (almond flour)
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 tsp Ground cardamom
- 1/4 C Coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 C Liquid sweetener (agave nectar/coconut nectar/maple syrup)
- 1 Tbsp Almond butter
- 40g/1.5oz Dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl stir together ground almonds through to almond butter until fully combined.
- Stir through dark chocolate chunks.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of the dough (it will be relatively soft and oily. Don't worry!), roll into balls and flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes watching carefully towards the end of baking time. They should be lightly browned on top but will still be very soft to the touch.
- Leave on the baking sheet to cool fully and firm up before serving.
Do you have big plans for V day? I’ve got a friend coming to stay for the weekend so we can be single together!