Cookie time! It’s been weeks since I shared a cookie recipe here. I know I said I’m typically more of a muffin girl, but the truth is I love them both! And these Raw Chocolate-Hazelnut Strawberry Jam Thumbprints definitely got me excited about cookies.
I recently got the chance to try a few products made by Windy City Organics, a US company specializing in raw, vegan and organic products. You may have heard of Rawmio and Dastony before, two brands of raw nut butters, and if you haven’t been lucky enough to have tried them yet you’ll just have to believe me when I say these are the best nut butters EVER.
They’re so so smooth, it’s hard to believe they’re raw. The Rawmio Chocolate Hazelnut Butter is honestly like liquid silk! Rawmio actually make another product called “Rawmio Hazelnut Silk”, which is White Chocolate Hazelnut Butter, so I can’t even imagine how heavenly that one must be.
I’ve got another recipe coming up using one of the Dastony nut butters…but for this recipe I used the Rawmio Chocolate Hazelnut Butter.
Who doesn’t love strawberries and chocolate together?!
I decided to make a raw strawberry jam to fill my little chocolat-ey cookies, but you could use your favourite berries, or, if you’re not fussed about keeping them raw, you could simply use a good-quality jam from a jar. You might have tried raw jam made with chia seeds before and I’ve made my own blackberry version before. I made this one smooth and thick rather than chunky-style though by blending the berries with the chia seeds and adding dates to thicken it further and add that jammy sweetness.
These cookies are super fudgy and quite different to your typical nut/date based raw cookie. I based them on my Raw Berry Cream Brownies (my most popular recipe to date!), using coconut flour as the base which gives them their unique texture.
Hope you enjoy!
- 5-6 Medjool Dates, pitted and diced
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 C Strawberries, washed, hulled and diced
- 1 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 C Rawmio Chocolate Hazelnut Butter (Original), melted
- 2 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp Almond milk
- 1 Tbsp Ground flax
- 1/16 tsp Salt
- 1/4C + 1 Tbsp Coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp Almond flour/ground blanched almonds
- 1/2 Tbsp Raw cacao
- Make the strawberry jam first. Blend together all your ingredients in a high speed blender until perfectly smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides several times to get everything incorporated. Refrigerate while you make the cookies.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the chocolate hazelnut butter, coconut sugar, almond milk, flax and salt. (To melt the chocolate hazelnut butter, which is solid at room temperature, place the jar in a bowl of hot water or in a dehydrator for a few minutes).
- Stir together the remaining ingredients in another bowl.
- Add wet to dry and stir together to combine well. It will be very thick but shouldn't be dry. If it is, add almond milk 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Divide the mixture into 6, roll into balls and flattened with the palm of your hand. Use your thumb to make small indentations in each of the cookies and fill with a small amount of the strawberry jam.
- Drizzle with more Rawmio chocolate hazelnut butter for extra deliciousness!
- Store in the fridge.
- If you are using another brand or homemade chocolate hazelnut butter it will likely be much thicker than Rawmio, and more or less sweet so you may need to adjust the amounts of almond milk and coconut sugar accordingly.
US folk, you can buy Rawmio products here. You can also buy direct from Windy City Organics- just get in touch for a shipping quote. I gather they’re also working on getting more stockists worldwide so fingers crossed that happens soon!