I called out to my Facebook followers this afternoon asking whether they’d prefer me to post a salad or dessert today and surprisingly the jury was divided! Sorry to those who wanted dessert but I went for my Cabbage, Apple & Pomegranate Salad. Hopefully you won’t be too disappointed with my offering…
I know some might not think a salad appropriate for this time of year, but I beg to differ. Salad can be satisfying all year round in my book. I love my roasted roots too but even in the winter sometimes I feel like something a little fresher and don’t want to turn on the oven. This salad uses all seasonal ingredients- cabbage, apple and pomegranate, and the rich, nutty dressing with just a touch of ginger is naturally warming.
Aren’t those pomegranate seeds beautiful?! I’ve had pomegranates many a time but each time I open one I can’t help but marvel at how gorgeous they are. Those sparkling, jewel-like seeds clustered together….perfection in nature!
I wonder if you know about the amazing technique to easily seed pomegranates without creating a gigantic mess? Remove the seeds underwater! You just crack open the fruit, submerge it in a bowl of water and gently pry the seeds out with your fingers. The seeds will sink and the pith will float so you can easily skim it off. For full details see here.
The dressing is what really makes this salad sing. I did a lot of taste-testing while making it but luckily still had the perfect amount to generously coat everything. I added hemp seeds mainly for the health benefits but they also provide creaminess together with the almond butter. They do have a distinctive taste which I know not everyone’s fond of, so if you’re one of those people feel free to use another 2 Tbsp of almond butter instead. Adjust ginger to taste as well.
- 1/2 Medium-sized head of green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 Red Onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 Medium Eating Apple, thinly sliced (tossed in juice of 1/2 a lemon)
- 1/3-1/2 C Pomegranate Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Almond Butter (mine is unsalted, if you’re is salted you may like to decrease or omit salt listed)
- 2 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1/4 C Fresh Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1-2 tsp Minced Fresh Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Black Pepper
- Combine cabbage, onion and apple in a large bowl. Tossing the apple in lemon prevents browning and adds a touch of tang to the salad.
- Blend all the dressing ingredients together until smooth. If using only almond butter than you can whisk this together by hand.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss well. I used all of it but, depending on the size of your cabbage, you may not need it all.
- Remove to a serving dish, top with a few grinds of black pepper and scatter over the pomegranate seeds.
Do you eat raw salads all year round? Favourite uses for pomegranate seeds? I’ve got plenty of seeds left!