We interrupt today’s scheduled post for chocolate! I had something else planned for today but then I made these Raw Berry Cream Brownies and decided I had to post them straight away. Not that you shouldn’t be excited about my next post of course, but chocolate is always prioritized!
I’ve been baking up a storm in my kitchen recently (more on that to come soon…) and as much as I love doing so, admittedly I don’t feel my best after eating a ton of flour, even if it is wholegrain.
Avoiding flour and still enjoying a sweet treat is no problem at all though when raw desserts are so darn delicious!
I’ve made many a raw brownie in my time but almost always date and nut based ones. I thought I’d go down a different route this time and try and replicate a cooked brownie texture. It was certainly a fun experiment and a resounding success if I do say so myself! They turned out fudgy but with a slightly fluffy “crumb”. They are still very rich so to cut that I added a layer of berry cream using some mixed berries I had in my freezer from the summer. It took these over the top!
The secret to the texture is coconut flour! I know, I just said I didn’t want to use flour, but coconut flour is rather different. Being made from coconut it’s of course gluten and grain-free. It’s also very high in fibre and low in carbohydrates.
Please do not try and sub homemade coconut flour in this recipe- it will not work! Store-bought coconut flour is defatted, unlike shredded coconut, and acts like a sponge soaking up liquid and giving these brownies their moist cakey texture. It’s widely available in health food stores, large supermarkets and online.
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 C Maple syrup OR Agave nectar
- 1/3 C Unsweetened apple purée
- 1/3 C Raw cacao powder
- 1/3 C Coconut flour
- 1/3 C Almond flour/blanched ground almonds
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 C Mixed frozen berries, defrosted (You can use fresh if in season)
- 1/4 C Cashews, soaked, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil, melted
- Line a small baking tin or container with parchment paper to help you remove the brownies later on (I used a 5 1/2” by 3” container)
- In a food processor combine water through to apple purée. In a separate bowl stir together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the food processor and process again until fully incorporated. You will have a very thick mixture.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared container and smooth out the top. Refrigerate.
- For the berry cream, blend the first five ingredients. When smooth add the melted coconut oil and blend again.
- Pour the berry cream on top of the brownie and refrigerate or freeze for a few hours. Use the parchment paper to remove from the container and cut into pieces.
- Store in the fridge or freezer as the topping will melt if left at room temperature.
*Adapted from Practically Raw Desserts
Please try these and let me know what you think!
I’d like to try a raw vanilla cake with coconut flour too…
Have you used coconut flour before? Any must-try recipes to send my way?
If you’re new to Coconut and Berries, Please sign up for email updates and join me elsewhere: I’m on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram (@coconutandberries), Google + and Twitter! You can also follow Coconut and Berries with Bloglovin‘ or Feedly.