Raw Lemon Tartlets with Strawberry-Nut Crust

Raw Lemon Tartlets with Strawberry-Nut Crust | coconutandberries.com

If you follow me on facebook you might have seen the announcement of my blog’s 1 year blogiversary! It seems summer is a popular time to start a blog as I’ve noticed a few others are celebrating, and many more years than my humble 1 at that! All the same, I hope I too will be celebrating two, three, four…years down the line.

To mark the occasion I decided I should make dessert! I’m sharing this recipe as a big thank YOU to all my lovely readers! If it wasn’t for you, your kind comments, feedback and support, I doubt I would still be blogging. You make it all worth it!

Raw Strawberry Powder | coconutandberries.com

I thought these “Raw Lemon Tartlets with Strawberry-Nut Crust” were special enough for a celebration, even more so as I used a new-to-me ingredient- Raw strawberry powder!  There’s no colouring, flavouring or additives in here, it’s just the whole fruit dehydrated at a low temperature and pulverized, giving a super concentrated fruity flavour.  You can get other fruit powders like blueberry, raspberry, blackcurrant and açai, all of which would likely work well in this dessert.

Strawberry Dusted Raw Caramel White Chocolates |coconutandberries.com

My first experiment with the powder- Raw Strawberry Dusted Caramel White Chocolates

Raw Living provided me with a few goodies, including this powder. If you’re not familiar with them then now’s the time to get acquainted! They sell all the raw food products you could possibly wish for (and ship throughout Europe)! Your basic dried fruits and nuts (all amazing quality), raw snacks (who has time to make their own all the time?!), raw chocolate, a huge range of superfoods, fermented foods and even natural beauty products

You don’t need a lot of fancy equipment to eat raw but a few tools can make it easier and more fun. You can get spiralizers, blenders, juicers, sprouters, etc. here as well.

Raw Lemon Tartlets with Strawberry-Nut Crust | coconutandberries.com

But back to our dessert! Like most raw desserts, this one’s a snap to put together. Cashews, coconut and dates  form the crust, along with a generous spoonful of strawberry powder for that yummy fruity taste. And the filling is a lemon custard/cream made with more cashews, banana (to cut the richness), coconut nectar and lots of lemon. Perfect with a few British strawberries!

Raw Lemon Tartlets with Strawberry-Nut Crust

Yield: 4 Tartlets

Raw Lemon Tartlets with Strawberry-Nut Crust

Ingredients

• Strawberry-Nut Crust
  • 1 C Cashews
  • 1/2 C Shredded coconut
  • 2-3 Tbsp Raw strawberry powder (or try another raw fruit powder)
  • 1/3 C Pitted Medjool dates (approx 4)
  • Zest of 1 lemon + 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
  • Pinch of salt
  • Lemon Custard/Cream
  • 2/3 C Cashews (NOT soaked*)
  • 1 Banana, sliced
  • Zest of 2 lemons + 1/4 C Lemon juice
  • 2-3 Tbsp Coconut nectar
  • pinch of salt
  • Fresh berries to serve

Instructions

1. Make the crust first. Grind the cashews and coconut in a food processor until fine. Add the salt, strawberry powder and pulse to combine.
  2. Blend in the dates, lemon zest and juice until the mixture comes together.
  3. Divide mixture between 4 coconut oiiled tartlet tins and press firmly. Freeze for 1 hour.
  4. For the lemon filling, blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender until very smooth. Remove to a bowl/container and refrigerate for an hour to thicken up.
  5. Just before serving, remove the prepared crusts from the tartlet tins carefully. Divide the filling between the four tartlets, top with fresh berries and lemon zest

Notes

* I use unsoaked cashews as they absorb some of the liquid whilst in the fridge and help to thicken up the filling,

* Any extras can be frozen and either left to thaw or eaten straight from the freezer for a firmer texture.

Raw Lemon Tartlets with Strawberry-Nut Crust | coconutandberries.com

If you’re new to Coconut and Berries, Please sign up for email updates and join me elsewhere: I’m on FacebookPinterest, Instagram (@coconutandberries), Google + andTwitter!

Follow Coconut and Berries with Bloglovin or Feedly

[Disclosure: I am a Raw Living affiliate. This means that I receive a small commission on orders placed with Raw Living by readers directed from Coconut and Berries. Thank you for you support!]

Comments

1. Sharon says

Thanks Emma. This looks lovely. With all your great recipes and photos you should consider doing your own cookbook!

2. says

Looks so delicious and beautiful Emma!! I always get excited to look at your recipes, that’s the truth! :) Love the strawberry crust. I have bought dried strawberries before and crush them into a powder and sprinkle them on toast sometimes…so good. This tartlet is so pretty! I have a recipe coming next week that is a twist on the classic ‘butter and sugar filled’ lemon bars!
    The Vegan 8 recently posted…National Peanut Butter Cookie Day Roundup AND a GIVEAWAY Announcement!My Profile

3. Tiffany says

Emma, Theses look so cute!! Thanks for the recipe! I cant wait to try it. I love your photography. You are so talented!!

By the way, your blog is showing up as a click through on my feedly reader. Is there any way you can remove that feature? Thanks!!

• says

Thank you Tiffany, I’m so glad you like my pics. It’s taken some time (read a LONG time) but I think I’m finally getting the hang of my camera. Sorry about the click through but I’m testing out the click through thing and seeing how it goes for the blog. I don’t have an accurate idea of how many people are reading without people actually clicking over to the blog. Hope you understand.
      I may well put it back to full posts anyway. On a trial period!
      Coconut and Berries recently posted…New Clearspring Organic Products (+ 2 Quick Recipes)My Profile

4. says

You have combined some of my favourite flavours in these tartlets and they look beautiful too. Congratulations again on your anniversary – these are definitely a worthy way to mark the occasion. I look forward to making them once my food processor makes it over!
    Kari @ bite-sized thoughts recently posted…Hello, LondonMy Profile

5. AMANDA says

Congratulations on reaching your first anniversary Emma! I write a blog for work: I’m a barrister although I read French & Russian at university. You never know how things will pan out when you start, and it is a real achievement to have blogged for a year, especially as regularly as you do. I enjoy your posts and have a Vegan Kind box delivered now – thank you.

• says

Thanks so much for commenting Amanda! I love finding out a little more about my readers. I still don’t know what the future holds for me but I’m leaning more and more towards something in food rather than languages… Though I suppose combining both would be the ideal thing.
      Great that you’re getting a Vegan Kind box now- they’re a lot of fun aren’t they?! :)

• says

Thanks Janet. I wasnt 100% convinced on the raw white chocolates. I don’t know if it’s just because I’m so used to dark dark chocolate these days though. I hadn’t planned to share the recipe but if you’d like it I’ll happily email it over (they’re made with cacao butter and lucuma- I don’t know if you have those ingredients in your minimalist pantry?).

• says

Thank you for all your support Angie. Lovely to have “met” you too. One day a giant real-life blog party has to happen!
      The fruit powders are so fun. Definitely get your hands on some if you can.

6. says

strawberry powder! I want some. your tarts look gorgeous – I can’t believe your blog is only a year old – you seem to have fitted in a lot (and filled my bookmarks) over that time – wishing you many more good years of blogging
    Johanna GGG recently posted…WSC Black bean cacao fudgeMy Profile