If you’re following me on my social media accounts you’ll probably have heard me mention my monthly The Vegan Kind boxes. I love getting post and the arrival of my The Vegan Kind boxes is always especially exciting! The Vegan Kind is the UK’s first lifestyle box for vegans and it contains not only food and drink but vegan toiletries, cleaning products, household supplies and more.
There’s always a recipe in the box too and this month the company’s lovely founder, Karris, asked me if I could come up with a recipe to feature.
One of the products in the box this month (#TVK18), and with which I was tasked with creating a recipe, was a delicious sun dried tomato paste from The Olive Branch’s “Greek Mezze” range. It sounds pretty unassuming but I promise this stuff is really good!
It wasn’t too much of a challenge to think how to use it as it’s very versatile. A few ideas are: mixed with roasted vegetables, pasta or grains, as a sandwich spread, stirred into hummus, and of course on pizza!
As great as pizza is, I didn’t want to make just any old pizza. So, as we’re smack bang in the middle of new potato season here in the UK, I decided to bring them into the mix and make vegan pizza potato skins! These are so easy to make and would make the perfect party bites!
Crispy potato shell + umami sun dried tomato paste + melty tahini cheese.
- New Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Sun-dried Tomato Paste (like Olive Branch OR try my Sun-dried Tomato Pesto recipe)
- Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- Tahini Cheese (2 Tbsp Tahini, 1 1/2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast, 1/8 tsp Salt, 1/4 C Water whisked together until smooth) OR Vegan Cheese of choice, grated*
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F
- Place potatoes in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- Cut each potato in half, then use a teaspoon or melon baller to carefully scoop the filling out, leaving a thin layer of potato (Save the potato flesh to make mashed potatoes!)
- Place the potatoes on a baking tray, skin side up. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn on the grill. Fill with approx. 1 tsp of sun-dried tomato paste, then top with a drizzle of tahini cheese or grated vegan cheese.
- Top with 1 or 2 cherry tomato halves then place under the grill for 3-5 minutes until just beginning to brown.
- Sprinkle over chives, if using, and serve immediately.
*This is enough for approx. 16-20 vegan pizza potato skins
The Vegan Kind lifestyle boxes are now also available outside of the UK ! Delivery is more expensive of course but considering the value of the contents is always way more than the £10 price, the international price is still not a bad deal at all.
I hope you give my vegan pizza potato skins a try too! Let me know if you do and how you like them.
If you’re new to Coconut and Berries, please sign up for email updates and join me elsewhere! I’m on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram(@coconutandberries), Google + and Twitter! You can also follow Coconut and Berries with Bloglovin or Feedly.