Rustic Beetroot Galette

Rustic Beetroot Galette (GF, Vegan)

With Christmas and New Year madness all finished, I found myself with a few days of calm before heading back to university. Perfect for me to get back in the kitchen, or so I thought. Then we were met with rain, rain and nothing but. The dark skies meant there was no daylight for photo-taking which now discourages me from making anything fun as I always want to share successes on the blog.

Checking the forecast every hour (I’m a typical weather-obsessed Brit), a little sunshine spelled hope and I waited eagerly to seize those few short hours to snap some pics before the sky clouded over again.

Rustic Beetroot Galette (GF, Vegan)

Boy am I glad I did! I would have been upset not to be able to share this one with you as it’s definitely one of my favourites of the recipes I’ve featured on Coconut and Berries.

Rustic Beetroot Galette (GF, Vegan)

After the success of my Beetroot & Sweet Potato Salad with Baked Cashew Cheese I’ve been dreaming of pairing beetroot with a similarly creamy component but in a different form. I’ve always loved tarts and pies but am not so experienced with making crusts- though it is something I’d like to practice. A free-form tart or galette, intended to look “rustic”, suits my skills much better, and so that is what this became.

I was thrilled with how delicious the crust turned out . I used nutty buckwheat flour, flecked with rosemary and combined with coconut oil, and baked up it was oh so buttery and…just yum! This is definitely going to see many more fillings in the future.

My beetroot was roasted to bring out its natural sweetness and rounds laid on top of a creamy and tangy almond-based layer to make the perfect pie.

Rustic Beetroot Galette (GF, Vegan)

Rustic Beetroot Galette (GF):

2T Lemon Juice
1/2t Salt
Pepper
1/4C Water

3-4 Medium Beetroot
1t Olive Oil

Roast the beetroot first. I use the tin-foil method- Scrub them clean, wrap loosely in tin foil and roast at 200C/400F for 45mins to 1 hour. Leave until cool enough to handle then peel away the skin using your fingers or a paper towel. The skin should peel away easily. Slice into rounds.

Blend all the ingredients for the almond filling until smooth. Set aside.

Make sure all your ingredients for the crust are cold. In a food processor combine buckwheat flour, salt and rosemary. Add the coconut oil in tablespoons and pulse to cut it in. Don’t over-process, a few larger pieces of coconut oil are fine. Add the water gradually and pulse until it comes together easily with your hands. Shape into a ball.

On a parchment lined baking sheet, roll out the dough into a large circle. Spread the almond filling over the crust, leaving a border of about 2 inches uncovered. Layer the beetroot rounds over the filling. Gently fold in the edges of the crust. Don’t worry if it breaks a little, just patch up the cracks with your fingers- it is quite delicate. Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil over the beetroot and bake for 30-40 minutes until the crust is brown and crisp.

Leave to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.

Serves 4-6

I’m submitting this recipe to the weekly link-up, Wellness Weekends.

Rustic Beetroot Galette (GF, Vegan)

I hope some of you get to try this and love it as much as we did!

Do you have a favourite savoury tart/pie recipe?

If you’re new to Coconut and Berries, Please sign up for email updates and join me elsewhere: I’m on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram (@coconutandberries), Google + and Twitter!

Comments

1. says

Just want to say I love your blog. My daughter and I are long-time vegetarians, and she’s been wanting to go vegan. So we have vegan Tuesdays and Thursdays for now, and most of what I’ve been cooking lately is vegan. And since I made a whole bunch of beets today, this galette is on my to-do list for this week. ;o)

• says

That’s so fantastic Denise! I always love to hear of more people embracing this lifestyle and of course I’m thrilled that your’e enjoying the blog :)
      Please let me know how you get on if you make any of my recipes.

2. says

That looks lovely, I like the sound of the filling ☺️ and it’s nice not to be the only person looking out for snippets of sunshine at the moment!! it’s definitely limited right now!

3. says

I almost never buy beetroots because I don’t know what to make with them. This is such an interesting recipe and the combination of beets and buckwheat sounds great!

4. says

I adore beets. Almost as much as I love brussels sprouts. My husband and daughter hate both. I wish I could say I’ll make a smaller version of this since nobody aside from me will be enjoying it, but that would be a lie. A big fat lie because I’m making the full recipe all for myself. Yum.

• says

Haha. Though it’s nice to share a meal with loved ones, I’ll admit I was a little sad to have to share this and especially have it disappear so quickly! Hope you love it if you get to make it :)

5. says

This galette is such a beauty!! The layer of creaminess paired with the beets sounds like it must make for a perfect bite. I’m so glad you got those hours of sunshine!

6. says

I wanna say pizza pie, but that probably doesn’t count huh?
    this looks absolutely gorgeous and I’m glad the weather was co-operative for a moment. As I have mentioned before i prefer my beets raw, but I would maybe go for a sweet potato galette, to keep it close to the salad that was the original inspiration.

7. says

This looks absolutely delicious! I’m a huge fan of beetroot. To date, Lil’ L has only eaten beets in soup as he used to get squeamish when he saw sliced beetroot ‘bleeding’ onto bread or pastry. Now he’s a bit older I’ll have to give it another shot!

8. says

Emma, this is just spectacular! What a fantastic way to enjoy beets. So, so pretty–and I agree, it works perfectly with something creamy! :)

9. N. McClure says

I made this and it was DELICIOUS. Only thing was that i wasn’t very confident with the crust as it was pretty crumbly–so i didn’t fold it over and it looked more like a pizza than a galette. So, we just decided to call it a Beetza. Tasted really, really good. great flavor combination.
    Will be trying out the beet, sweet potato and baked cashew cheese salad soon!

• says

“Beetza”! I love that! So pleased you made and enjoyed it even if it wasn’t exactly like the original recipe. I imagine you might have needed a little more moisture in the dough if it was crumbly. Mine was very soft and pliable though it did break easily.
      Enjoy the salad :D

10. laura says

Hi, First I want to say that I love your blog. I recently made this recipe and thought it was delicious. Since then I have made some more of the buckwheat dough and put it into the freezer until I am ready to eat it again. thank you.

• Coconut and Berries says

Thanks so much for your feedback Laura! I’m thrilled to hear you liked the recipe and that you’re enjoying the blog. I need to revisit this one as we loved it too :)

11. sweetvege says

Made this for the family dinner tonight and everyone loved it! Thanks so much for the amazing recipe, have been looking for a buckwheat pastry for ages and this one did the trick perfectly – I loved how it was all crumbly and rustic but still crispy! We also added a spinach cashew cream and fried onions and it was delicious. Everyone reading this post that is considering making this.. definitely do it ASAP, you won’t regret it! So many more great recipes on this blog I can’t wait to try!

• says

So thrilled to hear you loved it! I really must make this one again soon too as it’s a favourite with everyone here. I love the sound of your spinach cashew cream and fried onions in there to. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely picture on instagram too :D

Trackbacks