Eating out as a vegan can have it’s challenges. Nothing that can’t be overcome with a little forethought and planning though.
Despite best intentions I found myself caught out when trying to get breakfast at a UK airport recently. My usual safe-bet is porridge since I know of at least a couple of mainstream coffee shop chains which will make it up with soy milk for you. Add a banana, and if you’ve been really prepared, a squeeze pack of nut butter or some trail mix and you’re good to go. But at this particular airport none of my usual porridge spots were to be found! I traipsed around surveying the options only to find porridge pre-made with dairy milk or oats mixed with dried milk ready for hot water to be added.
I’m being a little dramatic about my little adventure as after all I did have a snack bar and banana in my bag which I settled for instead. Not ideal but not exactly disastrous.
My airport wanderings weren’t entirely fruitless either, since on the way I picked up some inspiration for breakfasts to make-over at home, this parfait being one of them. Yogurt pots with fruit and granola seemed to be all the rage, again all unfortunately using dairy.
Still with more rhubarb to get through, I combined it with an assortment of berries from the freezer- blackberries, raspberries and blueberries, some coconut sugar to sweeten and a teeny dash of vanilla to make this beautiful compote. When warm it was divine over creamy oats, and the following day it had thickened it nicely and was turned into this parfait.
The compote was delicious layered up in a jar with soy yogurt and granola and eaten with a long spoon like an ice cream sundae! I took the easy option using store-bought granola and yogurt but have ambitions to make a variation of this with home-cultured almond yogurt and homemade granola. The choice is yours.
- 2-1/2 C Chopped rhubarb, 1 inch pieces
- 1-1/2 C Mixed berries, frozen or fresh ( I used blackberries, raspberries + blueberries)
- 1/4 C Coconut sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp agave (optional)
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Non-dairy yogurt
- Nutty granola
- Combine chopped rhubarb and berries in a large pot and add coconut sugar and a couple of tablespoons water.
- Simmer gently over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes until rhubarb is very soft and berries collapsing.
- Stir through vanilla and taste for sweetness. Add agave if necessary.
- Leave to cool if making parfaits or serve immediately over hot porridge for breakfast or with vanilla ice cream for dessert.
- You will need (for 1 parfait): a mason jar or tall glass, 1C plain non-dairy yogurt, 1C rhubarb-berry compote, 1/3 C nutty granola.
- Carefully pour half of the compote in the bottom of the jar, then half of your yogurt on top. Sprinkle over half of the granola (It sort of gets lost in the pictures but it’s delightful delving into the jar and finding the little crunchy gems). Repeat layers, reserving a little compote for the top.
Do you prepare food for when travelling? Or do you bank on there being good options available?